Monday, June 12, 2017

UFC Fight Night 111: Holm vs Correia.....The Inglorious Card

The main event of this card is two fighters with a combined 1-5-1 in their past 7 fights.
I want you to wrap your brain around that.
Holm has lost 3 in a row. Correia has tied, actually won a single fight, and lost 2.

Arlovski is coming off of 4 losses in a row. ALL BY STOPPAGE.
Tybura is 2-1 in his past 3 fights.

Dos Anjos is 1-2 in his past 3, and Tarec is also 1-2 in his past 3 fights.

Dong Hyun Kim is thankfully 3-0 in his past 3 and Covington is also 3-0 in his past 3, but without their fight on the main card the total record of the main card in the fighters' previous 3-4 fights is a laughable 5-14-1.
The combined record of the recent fights of all but one of the main card bouts is 5-14-1. 

I literally think they put the Kim and Covington fight on the main card for this reason alone.
Hell, Gomi is on the undercard, I didn't know he was even still fighting in the UFC.

What does that even mean? I'm all for growing the women's divisions but putting this fight as a main event can only do poor numbers. Arlovski in his own skid faces up and coming Marcin Tybura in a truly gatekeeper's fight on a UFC Fight Pass card for the former world champion. Dong Hyung Kim, the perennial hot and cold ala Erick Silva type fighter faces Colby Covington and Rafael Dos Anjos faces Tarec Saffiedine.

I truly don't get this card. If it's for Fight Pass content, the name recognition of the fighters is pitiful considering their recent Octagon performances and if it's to build the UFC brand in the Asia market....it's the same. Following the type of cards One FC is putting on, this just won't work.

Every time I consider signing up for Fight Pass, a card like this comes along and I'm like....."Nah, hard pass, guys. Thanks, I guess, for making passing on Fight Pass and its subscription easy. I get the appeal of the fight library but I have been a hardcore fan for years, and have seen most if not all of the bouts when they happened. I'm not a fan who rewatches fights unless I'm doing homework on gambling picks or research for a blog post.
Having the EBI events on there has almost gotten me to sign up multiple times, UFC cards like this, when there's Bellator on free TV a lot of the time, and cards on FOX et cetera, it just makes it a hard pill to swallow. If I wasn't into watching grappling and the broadening swathe of Invitationals now being put on, I would probably have fight pass as a hardcore MMA fan, but this kind of content just isn't enough to "move the needle" as they are so fond of saying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment