Friday, May 12, 2017

Gi Review: Tatami Estilo 5.0

Some disclaimers before I review any/all Gis: I don't like ripstop as a material on Gis. I dislike it even more as material for pants. Most of the times, if not all, that my fingers have been hurt or sprained or whatever in training it is from gripping ripstop pants. In addition, I don't like the soggy wet t-shirt feel ripstop pants give me during long training sessions. Secondly, I, for the most part, prefer heavier Gi tops. I played Judo for quite awhile before moving into Jiu-Jitsu and other than the dead of summer, I prefer heavier Gi Tops. This dislike for ripstop Gi pants is part of the reason I selected this Gi for purchase, that and the weight of the Gi top.

Those things being said, let's begin.
I bought this Gi HERE for $159.95
"
  • 550 GSM Pearl Weave jacket
  • 12 oz canvas pants
"
This Gi is popular. Each time I've been to tournaments to compete since purchasing this Gi at least one guy in my bracket and a number of guys in other brackets are wearing this Gi. For the price, the Gi looks good and feels and looks like a competition Gi. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the broad, bold, big letters on the shoulders. That being said, due to my dislike of ripstop pants, and my desire for Gi tops on the heavier side in weight, this Gi ended up in my digital shopping cart. That and because the other Gi, I ended up buying was on the same website and I wanted to go ahead and just have both sent at the same time.

But I digress.....The Gi top is on the heavier end of Jiu-Jitsu Gis (at least nowadays, being 550 GSM, but honestly, doesn't feel much heavier than some of the other Jiu-Jitsu Gis. The cut is also not as lean as some of my other Gis, not that it feels box-like or like a parachute around me, but it's not as tailored through the midsection as per my frame (which my torso is very V-shaped from shoulders narrowing down to the waist). It has some cool sketch/line art patched inside the Gi up around the shoulders which is a nice touch, the overall aesthetic of the Gi is clean cut and the Blue color they used for the stitching I think works really well for it's overall look. One small nitpick negative nancy detail, there is a patch on the left hand side of the Gi pants near the waist/thigh intersection that results in one less belt loop on that side. I doubt it makes much of a difference in wear/usage, but I could've done without a patch and done with another belt loop. That being said, if that's the only thing negative I have to say about a Gi, so far so good.






No comments:

Post a Comment