Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Takedowns for BJJ: Ouchigari Variations Explained with Competition & Training Footage

Got some questions about Ouchigari as it pertains to other throws and how it's used in competition.
Below are two examples of mine from purple belt.

First tournament example: I keep my opponent reaching with his left hand for a grip (having just stripped it). Also note his defensive posture and weight heavy on the left leg. I don't need to get him to step as his left leg nearest to me is a heavy/stationary target. I time the reaction as I attack that leg to then block his right foot at the ankle and drive him past it

Second tournament example: My opponent opts for a cross grip on my lapel but concedes a high shoulder/scruff grip. This grip (and him voluntarily circling the way I would've pulled him anyway, allow me to use a whizzer to consolidate control as I attack the Ouchigari on his left foot stepping toward me. I didn't need a kouchigari or follow-up technique as he was already adequately off balance.




The bonus of competing in BJJ is the poor posture and defensive stance that most players adopt allows for strong, controlling grips over the top, and stationary/slow moving feet which are honestly just sitting ducks for attacks designed to block/trip/knock down et cetera. The scoring criteria in BJJ for takedowns is nowhere near as strenuous at is in Judo. In BJJ, I just have to end up on top in a controlling position for 3 seconds (in most tournaments). Take advantage. With all the resets, and guys fleeing out of bounds, and lazy refs restarting on the feet, there are often multiple opportunities to score 2 points throughout the match. 

No comments:

Post a Comment