Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Ricardo "Cachorrao" Almeida - Head/arm control to butterfly sweep


From over at Graciemag


I've been playing a lot of high/shoulder/half-triangle type guard when I'm on the bottom as of late.
Ala this:
 And this:

Mainly, from this position, I hunt for what we call at my gym "the gift wrap".



From here, I'll sweep as in the video above, or look to finish the armbar/triangle or a keylock from the locked triangle.

At any rate, the above head/arm control to butterfly sweep Almeida shows is another threat/option as I'm hunting for my sweep or submission from the bottom and one I used to use quite a bit more often.

Seeing someone like Marcelo Garcia use the butterfly sweep or the scissor sweep in Gi and NoGi at the highest levels of the sport reminds me that the basics are called the "basics" for a reason. They are simple, effective, and the principles behind them work in a variety of situations.

Happy Trainingz!


No comments:

Post a Comment