Monday, March 5, 2012

First Time Training in Brazil

Some quick observations on my first time training in Brazil:

1) it's hot as ****. wearing my double weave Judo Gi was a mistake.

2) it's interesting training on tatame that's covered by a roof, but the walls on at least 2 sides have several feet that are open to the outside up until the ceiling. it's different from opening the door, or the windows, or whatever and training. A much more semi-outside training type of feeling.

3) Judo is much more accessible (economically and physically) in Brazil. I've seen a bunch more Judo academies than BJJ. In fact, where I'm training, I only saw/found b/c I was looking for it. Otherwise I'd have driven right past it. After 4 days here, I've yet to see anything other than the occasional T-Shirt advertising Jiu-Jitsu.

4) The guys I've rolled with have been super friendly. Asking me about my fights, how long I've trained et cetera.

5) The heat made an hour of rolling feel like a serious work out.
I'll have some video coming soon :)

Some traveler/tourist observations from outside the world of grappling:1) the driving/traffic is chaotic. I wouldn't get a license to drive here even if I could. the bicyclists and scooters and motorcyclists all seem to have a death wish.

2) English is not very commonly spoken by many of the people you come across. It may be better in larger, metropolitan areas, but I'm in Recife (still a pretty big fucking city).

3) The bad and the REALLY bad neighborhoods sorta pop up/transition without being super obvious. Poverty is real and Crime is common from what I'm told. Knowing where to go, where not to go, how to get there, and when NOT to go places is important. This is always stressed to me by anyone that I meet here who is from here and/or lives here.

4) eating out is expensive as &%$#. if you plan on visiting/staying in a hostel, plan on figuring out how to prepare your breakfast and lunch or dinner to save money. It is very easy to drop 30-50 bucks on a meal, esp. for dinner. Again, that's how it is in Recife, I cannot speak for even larger cities like Sao Paolo or Rio.

5) again, from what I'm told by those who live here, the bus is to be avoided, ESPECIALLY at night, as is the subway/metro system. The airport in particular is confusing as ****. Again, food options in the airport are passable, but fast food here is much more expensive than to what we're used to in America (and you don't get nearly as much). Taxis are readily available, but they will take the long way if you don't have a map, have a general idea of where you're headed.


    - Happy Trainingz!

No comments:

Post a Comment