Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Training Log, Pan Ams Training, & Stuff I've Been Using in Rolling Lately


1.
1) I keep a training log.
2) I try to update it while eating dinner/before bed after each night of training. I don't do this religiously, but I try to update it no later than 24 hours after the rollsies on the mat (this is the best grappling related habit I ever started. I have nearly 2 years worth of data/trends recorded).
3) I track not only submissions but sweeps, what I get submitted by, and some other particulars like "head and arm control with gable grip" and notes like "conceded the underhook and got swept" as reminders to monitor my fundamentals like "knee elbow - combat base when breaking the guard" etc.
4) At any rate, each week or 2 weeks I look back at the trends.
    - am I finishing by armbars rather than triangles? am I finishing by armbars from the guard or from top position?
   - how often am I getting to the back?
   - am I working my guard passing like I should?
   - what takedowns have I been landing?
   - AND MOST IMPORTANTLY - AM I DOING THE THINGS I HAVE SET AS GOALS WHILE TRAINING/ROLLING?

**I used to put down 3-4 things I wanted to hit on the mats each night.
I can only speak for myself, but this is too much to effectively incorporate while rolling. I've found much better progress by setting goals like "get the kimura grip and sweep from however many positions as possible" and then the following week setting a goal like "get the kimura grip and sweep or transition to armbar". By setting a basic goal to attempt, then adding one component after a week I've made considerable progress in placing elements/tactics/grips into my game like the above mentioned "kimura grip to transition and/or armbar" (the kimura series mentioned above I started after attending a Dave Camarillo seminar - who btw, gives AMAZING seminars on not only a set of techniques but the theory and rationale behind them).

2. 
For the Pan Ams, I set forth some basic goals for my training:
Because I'm a Judo black belt, the ideal match for me is grip fight to takedown/opponent pulls guard b/c he feels uncomfortable in the grip fighting phase, pass guard, transition into dominant position, possibly finish if available - *preferrably collar choke from mount

As a result, my training has been broken into a general gameplan I drill during my 6 minute timed rounds:
1) grip fight, takedown, attack/pass the guard into dominant position (it later became clear I most often attained mount rather than the back).
2) on a daily basis, virtually all of my rolls I am aggressive in guard passing and fight for top position


3.
Things I've been using in Rolling Lately ---->
Terrere/Gerson Sanginitto Guard Pass


Tripod/head & arm control to knee cut through pass


Arm across/calf roll sweep and/or back take
(not a fan of the set-up, but this shows the sweep)


Happy Trainingz!

No comments:

Post a Comment