Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Tuesday's MultiMedia Mailbag: Judo, Brazlian Jiu-Jitsu, & MMA



Today I bring you a smattering of the various media that's been bouncing around in my brain over the course of the week:

1) A gripfighting sequence b/c gripfighting on the feet is woefully misunderstood by most BJJ players. Just as wrestlers hand fight, with a Gi, you must grip fight. Shocking, I know.


2) The gripfighting sequence sets up a drop knee Ouchi Gari (also taught by Jimmy Pedro) that I like for BJJ as it doesn't expose the back:





The arm across the opponent's body (from the first clip) sets up a 2 on 1 grip, or a Russian (for the wrestlers out there, then you hit the drop knee Ouchi gari/inside trip).
Some of you will say that you don't want to get caught up in the guard. I've found that in competition if I start my step over the leg in the transition to the mat, I get to half-guard, get my 2 points, and then work to pass.

2) The Inside BJJ podcast feat. Lloyd Irvin (he discusses his side of the DJ Jackson faux countdown I posted about here), Andre Galvao on being DQ'd, et al.

3) A preview from over at Sherdog for the UFC on Fuel TV (I know, I don't have the channel either) for tomorrow night feat. a possible 185/middleweight contender bout between Munoz and Weidman.
My quick picks are Munoz b/c he's too much too soon for Weidman. Simpson by better wrestling. Vaughan Lee b/c Dillashaw is is own biggest fan. Carmont by late stoppage IF he weathers the Vemola maelstrom. Te Huna by violent TKO (I think he'll strike while the iron is hot and Beltran recently got the same from Lavar Johnson). Dos Anjos via better wrestling than Njokuani. Assuncao b/c he is a beast. And, Damacio Page by vicious TKO in the first or second round.

No comments:

Post a Comment