Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Thesis Wednesday: Overcoming Injury



Sucks to be you moment of the day. Hendo just got Karo Parisiyan'd (see: injury leads to loss of title shot)

3 months ago, I woke up in the recovery room.
The nerve block was not working and I had this vague sense that my leg was in serious pain.
After being rushed out of the recovery room and sleeping much of the day I spent two days barely able to get up onto my feet. My wife had to help me get up to go to the bathroom.

I was more dependant upon someone than I had been since I was a child.

The day before my surgery, I had trained twice that day at Jiu-Jitsu. I had managed to compensate for my injury in many ways, compete in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, submission grappling, and even a Judo tournament and still win matches. But long term, the orthopadist made it clear that I would never resemble my pre-injury ability
Now, I couldn't even lift my leg off of the ground.
The thought of even doing Jiu-Jitsu didn't cross my mind.
I couldn't even stand up by myself.

I had torn my ACL, meniscus, and broken my leg 9 months prior, but due to work and financial considerations put off the surgery until the summer.
Now I was faced with the thing I was most afraid of: being off the mats for months on end with no answer as to when I would even be able to shrimp or stand and base again.
I'd read about athletes being unable to train for 6-9 months depending on the outcome of the surgery, physical therapy, and complications.

Stuck in bed. The first 3 days were the worst.
The third day while my wife was at work, I got on my crutches, went downstairs, and did some arm exercises with the bar bells.

I felt like the sport, and life period were going to pass me by while I was in a sort of limbo.
It was terrifying to be completely honest.
The one outlet that I always went to after work, b/c of work, b/c of life, the thing I enjoyed most was completely off limits to me. I didn't know how I would handle the free time or what I would fill the collosal amount of time I once spent training day in and day out.

3 months later, here I am, back moving around. No spazzing white belts, no one much bigger than myself, but back on the mats, doing what I love.
Below is probably the 3rd or 4th time I 've moved around since the surgery.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment