Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Tournament Proof Tuesday: Terrere Knee Shield Guard Pass


When you start focusing on guard passing, the shield is something you will eventually come across.
In the above, notice the left knee of the player on bottom creating space at a roughly 90 degreen angle. While relatively simple in theory, passing the knee shield can prove difficult.

Guys with strong legs, and particularly longer legs will use this to stuff much of your guard passing and keep you from getting the knee in the middle and knee through or cut through pass depending on your particular preference. But if you do as Terrere does, "No can defend!"


I dunno who else teaches this or who invented it, I just call it the Terrere guard pass for lack of a better description.

It's one of the passes I can still do when moving around even though I'm about 3 1/2 months post op from ACL surgery. The Jiu-Jitsu I'm most interested in right now is what works even though one of my legs is very weak and lack quite a bit of range of motion.
You can see me lace the legs and do the Terrere pass at 2:59 below:
If I can do it moving around the first few times back from surgery, I'll add it to the list of techniques to keep in the repertoire.

No comments:

Post a Comment