Saturday, July 18, 2020

Work in Progress Foot & Leglock Ideas from my Finishers 12 Superfight

Been tying together some new things I worked on during the Covid-induced break from competing. Sub Only is a preferable way to try some new attacks in that I'll have 8 minutes of regulation where losing some points to position or a guard pass won't be the end of the world. If you're not trying to get the finish from less than ideal places in submission only format, I don't know where else you're going to go for it under duress. Seeing guys do F2Win or other non-scoring formats and attempt zero submissions is comical.

There's a fair amount to unpack here as I was employing some basic/known leg dig out entries from bottom but also utilizing the shallow/Musumeci hook behind my opponent's right knee. The risk of the backstep in NoGi (and Gi tbh) against a standing opponent is higher than with single leg X or some other more conventionally used hooks, but later in the match I adjusted and caught his free foot and utilized it to sweep/force an off-balance/stumble to negate this risk. Another counter to a standing passer when they are looking to backstep is to thread the free leg behind the knee and lace from there on the initial backstep attempt, I just and followed to hunt for a short ankle lock belly down style.

I close out the clip with some time spent in Splurgeo/Sergio Hernandez guard. There are toe hold options from there that combined with sweeps are effective as they protect their foot from the known threat of the hoe hold. The sequence ended with me lacing the legs/inside sankaku but being pinned down flat on my side and unable to finish digging out the leg/elevate him to then attack the heel et cetera.

No comments:

Post a Comment