Thursday, September 13, 2012

Deathless Deathmatch Friday: Healthy Gym Rivalry



"Two man enter. One man leave."

About 2 months before my ACL surgery, while having a few beers my buddy (the white belt below) insisted he would tap me out for the first time in the near future.
I insisted that he must be speaking in jest, because he had not yet come close.....to which he countered that if we rolled long enough without stopping, he would tap this humble narrator. I insisted that he would not tap me in a submission only match, but that he might beat me in a points match due to my torn ACL and his wrestling base.

What came about in a few days time was a bunch of people showed up to open mat to watch us hash it out with a 10 minute time limit; whereby I could tap him as many times and we would restart, but he simply had to get me once in the 10 minutes to win.

...this is that anti-climactic story.



Club rivalry has its place in training.
It motivates both players to bring their A game (or as close as they can in the gym).
It triggers similar stress to competitive environment(s).
There are few feelings like people sitting there intently watching and cheering while you roll.
It's one thing to lose to someone you may never see again. It's another to lose to someone you will continue to see day after day.
That being said, it's also a helluva lot of fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment