Friday, April 10, 2015

Getting the "W"

I don't really get why they give 2nd and 3rd place medals
Been a busy couple of weeks. I quit my job, rather, resigned to be more accurate.

Competed at the Submission Only, took 2nd in the purple belt featherweight, lost first round of the absolute. I've had a nagging shoulder injury that came after getting sick a few weeks back but I'm thankful I've still managed to train a good bit.






Making sure I don't let Jeff Shaw open up his spider/DLR game
The week following the Submission Only, I had a superfight (still hate that term) with a good friend and fellow Jiu-Jitsu addict, Jeff Shaw of Dirty White Belt Blogger Fame at the Bull City Brawl in Durham.

I managed to get the submission win at about the 6:40 mark with an ezekiel I set up by hunting for the arm triangle from technical mount/back take territory.









I played a conservative game on top, not letting him open up his guard because I knew his DLR and spider guard game would give me a lot of trouble if he got it going.

Felt good to get the win if not much else because I didn't open my game up and didn't feel like I had much finesse in the match. I just grinded out pressure passing and the old school Jiu-Jitsu gameplan of smash and pass then threatened submissions until I got the ezekiel.

Coming up I have US Grappling Raleigh on the 18th, a superfight in Charlotte at the Fight Lab MMA event on the 24th, then I plan on competing the next day at the Copa America in Gastonia, NC.

Win or learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment