Sunday, February 4, 2018

2 of My Matches from Yesterday: Outside Heel Hook and Back Triangle + Armbar

So I'm catching up on the Finishers 5 Sub Only event which featured a several of the guys I train with both on the undercard portion, the bracket, and the superfight.
Worked til 11pm Friday night, caught the bus at Port Authority and made it to Maryland about 8am, did my weight class for the advanced division, then reffed til 7 when I had to catch a bus back to NYC, got back at 4am and slept a few hours because I'm working 10am-midnight today. I reffed for US Grappling for several years and getting to compete in trade for reffing was a big chunk of my purple belt experience. I owe a big debt to them in terms of just mat time competing and exposure to new grappling areas/guys outside of where I was living and training locally. They run a tight ship, I personally think the reffing is among the best of the companies/tournaments I've been to and worked for (not naming any names......). Was an incredibly long day but was glad to pick up some straight Danaher/what we work on in class on a regular basis stuff that was never part of my game previously.

Won 2 matches by submission and lost a match on points (gave up inside position with my butterfly hook when chasing an ashigarami/leg entanglement and he ran up some points. Glad to see that in each of my matches I was chasing and hunting for submissions and implementing some transitions. Some areas for improvement include: handfighting, better head control/front headlock opportunity recognition, and perhaps I was a bit too relaxed (fatigue? I dunno, I was tired). My guard felt exceptionally unthreatened (may sound condescending but that's a frank assessment/reflection). At any rate:


 AND
 

No comments:

Post a Comment