Friday, March 1, 2019

BJJ Scout Breaks Down Askren vs Lawler Takedown Truth (All Hail King Troll Askren!)

Some cool sections on inside wrist control, the Iowa ride, attacking the turtle, and Askren's double leg + body lock takedowns. The biggest takeway when I shifted from competing in Judo and training Muay Thai to fighting MMA was my reliance on the body lock or some form of upper body grip to finish takedowns in my fights. In Judo you can rely on the jacket whereas in MMA you've got underhooks/collarties, gable grips, et cetera. In terms of upper body takedowns in MMA, in my 5 fights I hit uchimata, haraigoshi,bodylock + outside trip, and a takedown in my 5th fight that I don't recall and don't have footage of. I'm interested when I return from ACL rehab to look at and think about this bending at the waist double leg business pointed out from Askren's game.

No comments:

Post a Comment