Sunday, December 22, 2019

Takedowns for BJJ: Sumi Gaeshi

I get asked a lot which Judo I actually use in Jiu-Jitsu, and which throws I prefer. I did a lot of trial and error early on at white, blue, and purple belt cross training and figuring out what JiuJitsu posture and rulles (and lack of gripping restrictions) change in regard to using Judo style takedowns (as opposed to wrestling et cetera) in JiuJitsu rule sets.

As with a lot of things, conjecture is great, but it took a lot of trial and error and frustration to make the necessary changes. I stress this again and again, but as with submission grappling vs wrestling, Judo vs JiuJitsu: the lack of stalling calls and gripping rules completely changes things in a number of respects.

Anyhow, a throw I teach early on to the folks I coach and stress throughout coaching is Sumi Gaeshi: it transitions well to a series of sweeps, it preys on the bent over posture many grapplers will utilize in matches, and it can be done from a variety of grips = the traits I look for in workshopping a Judo throw/takedown for JiuJitsu competition/rulesets.

Starts off with myself and some of the folks I coach hitting it in competition, basis breakdown, and some variations/options demonstrated in live training.

No comments:

Post a Comment