Thursday, June 26, 2014

Obsession & Jiu-Jitsu



Injured my arm last week when a training partner hit a wrestling style switch, and I was belly down meaning: I couldn't extricate my arm before it was pretty violently hyperextended.

I did what I usually do which is rest a day or two (two in this case) then I rolled 6-7 hard rounds the day before competing in Richmond. The day after the tournament I wasn't satisfied with my performance so I rolled a solid 6-7 rounds but in my heart I knew I had to get my elbow looked at because the pain after training was growing in severity.

The good news is the orthopedist doesn't think I have any long term damage but I likely damaged my bicep and some of the ligaments but they will heal in 3-4 weeks with rest and ibuprofen.

Realistically there is no way I'll stay off the mats that long. I'll be back tomorrow with my arm tucked in my belt Jacare style and hope for the best.

I've been fortunate and not been injured since coming back from ACL reconstruction and I've been training like a madmen since before and even moreso after getting promoted to purple belt in December. Every day is a grind these days and I rarely take off more than a day at a time. Summer means training twice a day some days and I restless as hell just having taken 4 days off.

No comments:

Post a Comment