Tuesday, January 1, 2019

2018 Submission Tally in Review/Crunching Numbers

I had 40 matches across various formats in 2018.
I did EBI format brackets, EBI format superfights, I did Grappling Industries 5 min all submission legal with points, and ADCC format. I grouped the submissions by proximity to one another with the first grouping being on the back or from a back attack transition, the outlier inverted triangle I hit coming out of inverting to avoid a guard pass, and then 10 leg locks across 4 types.
-----
Aggregate Submission Tally: 20
RNC - 3
back triangle armbar - 2
back triangle keylock
body triangle
kimura from back
3/4 armbar

inverted triangle

inside heel hooks - 3
outside heel hooks - 5
kneebar
toe hold
------
My submission rate regardless of format was 50%. Not bad, and given a number of brackets and events were outside my weight class, where my submission rate drops (and drops even more with short 5 min round times against heavier guys), I think despite looking for higher skill level events in 2019, I hope to achieve a higher submission rate.

That being said, looking closer at where I finished matches also contains some info for consideration and reflection/rumination. Those who know me will probably remark things about my bottom game, flexibility, and putting things together off my back from bottom position, but half of all my submissions for 2018 came from either the back, or a transition off of the back (like the 3/4 armbar listed below). I had exactly one upper body submission off of my back for the entire year. The leg locks, many of which initiated from off of my back represent the other half of all my submissions. It's interesting to me that often a lot of where we get in training sometimes almost never shows up in competition. I actually very rarely hunt for back triangles anymore, opting instead to fight for the strangle from the back. I am interested to see if this manifests in my competitions forthcoming in 2019. For example: I almost never outside heel hook anyone in training, as most of the guys with whom I train simply know how to defend to quickly and too easily, and yet, I hit 5 out of my 20 total submissions this year, again, suggesting a still remaining disparity in leg lock technology/depth of knowledge between training within the Renzo association and training outside of it).

What this suggests?
I do half of my work finishing when I get to the back.
I do half of my work finishing when I get to leg entanglements. I'd be interested to go back and log how many leg entanglements I attempted vs finished as a trend across the year. I spent much less time focusing on leg attacks in the second half of the year, opting instead to prep for ADCC by focusing on handfighting, wrestling, and guard passing to secure the back.

It's interesting when you crunch date to see what it says rather than assume you know things based on generalized recall over the course of a year. I hit leg locks consistently throughout the year, despite likely not spending enough time drilling them in the lead up to events to keep them sharp (this cost me the match at ADCC trials).




No comments:

Post a Comment