Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Keenan Says Don't be Afraid of Heel Hooks (or Berimbolos)

I'm always interested to listen to/hear other analyze some of the key leg locking positions from more than just a "here's a counter" or "here's a defense" standpoint. Keenan at least correctly identifies the current trend of people understanding value in controlling the top/secondary leg, in an effort to delay/prevent escape and then isolate and cripple the actual/target leg.



I'll get into some areas I think are problematic to rely on but perhaps specific to him and his length/frame et cetera they buy him the time necessary to escape, I also think the extension of the legs/sankaku the attacker is using here facilitates escape as well if you don't panic early on.

I'm not crazy about the base of palm push to the shin. I'd honestly prefer to C-grip/thumb post inside the crook of the knee to facilitate the motion he's describing to facilitate the escape.
I also find that intermediate leg lockers utilize the legs extending/trapping the far thigh/hamstring with their shoelaces inside sankaku position, but I've stopped using it in the past 6-12 months when competing. I also used to be obsessed with controlling the secondary leg, but have instead now also opted to control the target leg with different wedges in place (watch some of my recent matches and you'll see what I mean ;)

Despite some people assuming the heel hook(s) in my matches are textbook, the control with the legs and wedges in place actually aren't very textbook in the scope of what the majority of leg lockers these days are utilizing (namely: control second leg, fully triangle legs, and handfight to isolate the target leg. In watching my most recent matches, the times I was able to get to this position, guys are savvy enough these days to pommel the secondary leg inside the triangle/crook of the knee and escape, and while extending the secondary leg like the attacker does here is a solution/preventative measure to that, long term, extending them away actually facilitates the escape.

As for the toes curling thing, honest opinion, if Craig Jones was on his leg, the time he thinks that curling his toes will by may/may not get his knee clear of the control which will lead to the break. Keenan's foot looks pretty safe in the video because the drilling partner is clearly not Keenan's size, and were it someone Keenan's frame or bigger, I think the toes curling as a defense compared to the foot and toe position we drill and practice, is largely cosmetic.
Honest opinion(s). 

No comments:

Post a Comment