Monday, May 4, 2020

Travis Stevens Match Analysis (Insight to Professional Level Gameplanning)

Watching this reminds me that I often under appreciate the level to which Judo preparation influenced my approach to JiuJitsu. In Judo early on you develop or are mandated which throws you will work on or look to perfect. This approach to a sole throw and then researching in training the gripping, footwork, stepping patterns, and opponent reactions against vary body types and right vs left stances et cetera begins that methodical approach to precision that I often see lacking in JiuJitsu teaching methodology and training.

More specifically:
It's always amazing to me how JiuJitsu schools will either devote no time to standing techniques/takedowns/throws or will do them a couple times the week before a tournament even though literally every single match begins on the feet. Sequentially, what it also means is that many schools then have a dearth of guys who want to be on bottom and are actually not entirely comfortable passing in matches. This is why you see guys stall for 8 minutes then in the waning 30 seconds of the match have a 50/50 battle to top and win by a sweep or advantage etc. JiuJitsu coaches will scoff at learning JiuJitsu through videos or online but then will have never scored a takedown while competing and teach takedowns themselves. There's always danger of inaccuracy in teaching things non-competition tested and perfected solely in the gym. Recently I had been working on a Gi backtake using the belt and a lapel grip but was unwilling to break it down online and post it because it has only been used in the gym as I have been too busy preparing for NoGi events to compete in the Gi. I feel better about it now because I recently saw Keenan use the EXACT grips to take the back at Euros, but again, I'll keep my mouth shut publicly until I have evidence that it works in competition against competent opposition.



What is also means is that they're not training their guard against guys who actually want to pass (primarily). Leandro Lo opted midway through his career to spend more time passing (he also had access to the Miyaos) and thus by the time he reached black belt had the groundwork laid to develop a passing style that has defeated all manner of guards. Lucas Lepri is another. No one has access to him or his level of passing in their gym other than when they face him once a year at Worlds or Pans et cetera. The trade off though is losing matches along the way at the colored belts and even at black belt as you're facing the mathematically advantageous position of guard (sweep, submit, stand-up, take the back or a combination thereof).

When coaching folks that are going to be competing, you have to control what is within your locus that will happen in a match. Situational rounds and rolling should emulate resetting from out of bounds, losing position, lazy and downright incompetent reffing as this WILL HAPPEN IN MATCHES. A short example is that in training, I often may finish a sweep just before a reset is necessary (due to the shape of the mat space or when it is crowded), when we reset I adopt a neutral position and then must commit to scoring another sweep. I read Ronda Rousey's mother say that you have to be prepared to score/submit the best in the world twice in a match. Often with a minute or 30 seconds left in training, regardless of how the round has gone, I will create a scenario in my head like "I'm down by 5 points" or "must submit before the round ends" or "get to top position and score an advantage with a submission attempt" so force myself out of the comfort zone of reaction or basic flow state. "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail."

No comments:

Post a Comment