Thursday, January 4, 2018

Who is Megan Anderson?




As soon as Cyborg said her name, I was interested enough to look her up. Time to find out who she is. At a glance, she at least looks like she might be Cyborg's size.
She has lengthy arms and legs, and keeping her outmatched opponents on the end of her reach has been pretty successful. From the highlights I watched, and the fights I could find, she seems to have fed on lesser opposition which in Women's MMA as the sport grows isn't necessarily her fault per se, it just means I can't tell how good she may or may not be, simply that she's better than women who show up looking like they've not really been punched in the face prior to the fight I pulled up on youtube. She doesn't seem to have violent KO power, but rather reach and passable distance mangement. Against a fighter like Cyborg who has showed increased ability to slip punches and counter with that straight right hand, I dunno. I'm going to do more research, but the fact that Cyborg is calling her out and she's not even a UFC contracted fighter tells you the results of Cyborg beating up the two bantamweights willing to get paid to face Cyborg in her weight class. It sucks for Cyborg, I guess, I don't honestly care. She's gotten a lot of flak over the years for her appearance but frankly, it has all the tell tales signs of a woman who's taken male hormones and for years beat up on women not even close to her size. She gets a couple wins over women who are slightly less egregiously outmatched size-wise and now I'm supposed to care. They made her a division and she still hasn't fought anyone who's actually her weight class. They didn't create a division, they just gave her a belt and are digging up from the next weight class down to put on "title" fights. Spare me.
I don't care to watch certain divisions in the UFC for various reasons, so I don't have to pretend to care about this one just out of some politically correct narrative that oh because it's women's mma I have to watch and give it the same attention I do various divisions in the UFC. I don't really care to watch the heavyweight or even a lot of LHW fights in the UFC. I don't watch much HW IBJJF Jiu-Jitsu matches.

She's not interested in fighting Nunes but Nunes has become seemingly willing to make it happen and the whole don't wanna fight your countrywoman thing rings hollow when Brazilian dudes have been beating one another half to death for decades. You want to do the adult deal? Do what the adults do. Nunes is virtually the only fight that remotely makes sense at this time. Avoiding fighting her is like Mighty Mouse ducking Dillashaw. It doesn't make money sense and it doesn't make any other kind of sense. 

No comments:

Post a Comment