Monday, April 20, 2020

Calf Slicer: The White Whale

I've all of the major leg locks in competition: plenty of inside/outside heel hooks, toe hold, a bunch of kneebars, & ankle lock. Full disclosure, in competition I haven't hit the aoki lock variation of the ankle lock, the Estima, & the calf slicer. I've been working more passing, takedowns, and back takes in the past year to counter the disengage/stallfest type grapplers which are now making for boring matches.

Of the more obscure leg/foot locks, the calf slicer I think is actually the hardest to hit because they have to really kinda stick around and either not flee the backtake, but also not immediately flee the leg entanglement. I hit the one shown below by Sean Roberts in training, I don't find a lot of other entries super feasible against better grappler to be honest, but it's one of those side projects I'm thinking about more often in training in looking for it from a few other positions. The primary issue with the calf slicer position below is that heel hook counter/exposure if they separate your feet/triangle.

No comments:

Post a Comment