Monday, April 13, 2020

Rolling Backtake Counter: Beat them to the Next Phase

There's a number of times that rather than fight the position, the smartest thing to do is beat your opponent to the next junction/control point. Rather than resist the rolling backtake/ninja roll, whatever you call it where you train, when your opponent laces the leg (be it twister hook, triangles the legs, top side hook, or pinches the knees with a shallow hook) rather than resist and fight to then engage in a mutual crab ride type battle of who can stomp down/extend their leg away, simply beat them to the transition. I find walking on my hands and firing my hips allows me to get my hips topside.

The issue I've always felt was the biggest downside to the rolling backtake is the big wind-up. Sure, if your opponent resists the position you can dive and shoulder roll to force the position, but I've never been a fan of forcing positions that are essentially neutral shootouts. The comp footage is from the Grappling Idiots Pro -150 Qualifier final I won before quarantine shut everything down and the Gi footage was from me breaking it down for drilling a couple weeks prior.

No comments:

Post a Comment