Thursday, April 9, 2020

Illiadis Ippon Seionage/Cross Step entry (& BJJ Specific Variations)

Illiadis shows his cross step set-up for a deep entry Seionage. This cross step is something I used to drill a lot to help improve my standing version of Seoinage, and actually helped me improve my shoulder throw as a whole, instead of relying on dropping to both knees.

Seionage was the first throw I studied in depth in Judo and I had a lot of success with it early on. Down the road I did a lot of drilling and training trying to emulate Koga's style of a standing entry but never had ton of success, due in part to the nature of the training is tough on training partners and requires a lot of landing on opponents (a liablity if you don't have a crash pad or endless lower belts to train with like they do in Japan). As a result, I was always looking for a standing entry that I felt was a compromise between Koga's entry and stronger than the drop knee version most commonly utilized. As I had knee surgery, felt the strain of deep squat or single knee down entries no longer tenable, I found myself drilling this Iliadis entry (at it less deep, but relying on a standing/cross step entry).

The emphasis on stepping to set-up the throw/entry requires a bit more deftness than jumping and turning and relying on the dropping bodyweight to do the bulk of the throw. I can do the dropping/kneeling seionage from almost every grip combination there is, but after a lot of training and live rounds, I actually prefer the posture and follow-up throwing options the standing version creates rather than the "one shot, one kill" options of the dropping to the knees version of seionage.



Here I break down the cross colloar/defensive gripping version that leads to a backtake in JiuJitsu competition and is by far the most common version you see at high level JiuJitsu against defensive posture/square stance opponents:



Here it is with a combination of Koga/Illiadis standing version that is both a bit entry step into a standing finish that takes much longer to feel strong and load them up, but I think ultimately produces stronger fundamentals of timing/entry and gripping/loading positioning & posture:

No comments:

Post a Comment