Thursday, April 16, 2020

What I'm Watching: Bare Knuckle Boxing, BJJ Scout, Shinya Aoki, More Sambo, Copa Podio Throwback Matches

My sole regret in combat sports is that I didn't get in a couple bare knuckle bouts. I was a bouncer for several years and got to do a fair bit of Judo/JiuJitsu and fighting  "in the streets" as they say. I've had a knife pulled on me twice. I fought in 5 oz gloves 5 times in MMA. But something about the bare knuckle rules that always makes me sad I missed out on it a bit. I stopped fighting MMA because I would leave work in the afternoon and be unable to remember where my car was in the parking lot. The mild concussions and mood swings that accompanied took a toll on my personal life and those around me. I'd be lying if I didn't say I was tempted to do it anyway, but the time it would take away from grappling which is my sole focus with the every shortening bit of solid years left I have with which to compete makes it a cost benefit ratio I can't justify. I'm coming up on 40, fun fact, and I just have to heavily prioritize my time left with which to compete. Sigh, father time comes for us all.





It takes almost 12 minutes for this to get to the mat. Kill me. Anyway, a bunch of negated wall/cage wrestling by both guys and neither willing to concede top position to actually, y'know, attempt submissions. Skip to 12:30 and do yourself a favor. Aoki uses a Dagestani handcuff attempt to get to the back and from there almost immediately ends the match with an RNC.





Espen had a much less developed set of skills to establish contact at brown belt. This match (and the match with Canuto at Copa Podio) show this as both he and his opponents draw stalling calls for basically refusing to engage. Pe De Chumbo is clearly perplexed by the contemporary guard style of Espen (despite that he's a brown belt here) and utilizes the kneebar transition/attack from a modified 50/50 or shallow hook to win the match. Pe De Chumbo was content to stay on both knees in half-guard for much of the match, so you can't feel too bad for him losing in the waning seconds of the match.

No comments:

Post a Comment