Monday, July 14, 2014

Expert Corner: An Actual Expert Discussing Grappling Injuries & My Two Cents

My injury list from Judo includes some elbow dislocations, rotator cuff damage and a number of broken toes and tendonitis in my elbows, knees, toes, torn ACL/meniscus/broken leg, likely a partially torn ACL int he other knee and meniscus damage, as well as 2 facial lacerations.

My injury list from MMA training camp includes several broken noses, a torn oblique/bruised kidney, and partially dislocated elbow.

My Jiu-Jitsu injury list includes some hyperextended elbows, and meniscus damage.

I hesitate to assert which sport is more injury prone based on my personal experience because I focused more in Jiu-Jitsu after a number of years in combat sports and thus was much safer in my training and time on the mats. I will say that I have personally seen more severe injuries in Judo and at Judo competition just as the fact of my personal experience. I've seen more neck injuries in Judo but actually about comparable ACL tears in Judo/BJJ though the mechanism of injury was different (takedown or the like in Judo and a locked/entangled white belt mess in Jiu-Jitsu).
-----
In the video below....

Some interesting data mentioned: knee and elbow are the primary grappling injuries in the Gi. In NoGi, it's lacerations due to accidental headbutts et cetera.

Also, that the bulk of injuries in tournaments occur at white and blue belt.
He briefly mentions training with partners of comparable size and skill (an impossibility all the time in training).

 



No comments:

Post a Comment