Saturday, March 17, 2018

Garry Tonon MMA Debut Next Weekend

Nearly 3 years ago I came up to visit NYC. I trained at Renzo's and knew I would come back and join the team. Having been there for the past nearly two years, I've seen a lot of guys walk in the door and say the same thing. A lot of guys who come train for a week, promise to return and don't. Few guys make the jump and move to NYC or surrounding areas, in fact, no one has that I'm aware of since I did it. 
About a year after visiting, I bit the bullet and moved. I'm coming up on two years in NYC and training at RGA. To put things in perspective. It was less than two weeks before Gordon Ryan would become known to a broader grappling public by winning the EBI Absolute. Everything Gordon has done since then is deserving of it's own post to chronicle the trajectory of his meteoric rise to fame and notoriety in the ensuing two years. I choose not to post about the ins and outs of the academy as that's not what the blog is for nor was started for long before I made the jump to the greatest city on earth. 

At any rate, in the  2 years meantime I mentioned, Garry would win EBI 155 lb division (cutting down pretty short notice when Eddie Cummings withdrew from an injury), then EBI 205 lb division, and EBI  the lightweight title yet again very soon after his ADCC appearance. At any rate, I've gotten to see the day in and day out work getting ready for his MMA debut next weekend and like with all things done at RGA, an organized plan of development will be on display. 
Can't wait. 

No comments:

Post a Comment