Monday, May 15, 2017

Gi Review: VHTS G4

I did not purchase this Gi. It is a loaner Gi, an A1, my size, at the gym where I teach the kids program. That being said, I've used it to roll and train in frequently over the past few months when I didn't have time to get all my gear washed due to work and training et cetera.

Some disclaimers before I review any/all Gis: I don't like ripstop as a material on Gis. I dislike it even more as material for pants. Most of the times, if not all, that my fingers have been hurt or sprained or whatever in training it is from gripping ripstop pants. In addition, I don't like the soggy wet t-shirt feel ripstop pants give me during long training sessions. Secondly, I, for the most part, prefer heavier Gi tops. I played Judo for quite awhile before moving into Jiu-Jitsu and other than the dead of summer, I prefer heavier Gi Tops. This dislike for ripstop Gi pants is part of the reason I selected this Gi for purchase, that and the weight of the Gi top.

Those things being said, let's begin.
"480 GSM Pearl Weave" and ripstop pants. 

The cut is slim, the pants are also a slim fit. I tend to like slimmer fit/tailored Gis because I am 5'8/5'9 and 145 lbs. I have relatively broad shoulders and a narrow waist. This Gi top feels more tailored/slim than the Tatami Estilo 5.0 Gi which I own but slightly less slim than the Maeda Kaiyo Gi which I also own.

A small comment about the belt loops. It has a single belt loop in the front which is fine for tying the pants securely with the elastic drawstring, but I prefer the belt loops in pairs for a more comfortable fit/knot, but anyway, my personal two cents/opinion no one really asked for.

On to another:
I'm not quite sure if it's a chemical or something in the finishing process or perhaps the production of the weave, but something about the Gi tops by VHTS is abrasive to my knuckles. I first noticed it rolling with a guy regularly who wore VHTS Gis. I would assume it's my hands at deficient in some capacity, but after 11 years of Judo and coming up on 7 years of Jiu-Jitsu, I find it hard to believe that's the case. Something about either the weave or the fabric from the spool itself from which the weave is constructed feels very abrasive to my knuckles. Anyhow, the Gis seem very popular around NYC as I see them on IG and on competitors and athletes from a variety of gyms in the area.


No comments:

Post a Comment