Thursday, June 14, 2012

Blue Belt Lessons & Training Log Statistics


Glad to see I'm not the only person tired of watching world class players lay on their backs and grab ankles:
From the coach of the guy who beat the top prospect of Renzo and Danaher: "But I noticed that Victor was the only little guy who won playing on top, and I’m not just talking about brown belts. In the other finals—forgive me if I’m being unfair to anyone—I only saw guys with their buts on the ground trying to win. Horrible, in my opinion,” said Paiva."



On to Lessons and Things I've learned in the past 2 years and several months as a blue belt:

In Class:
 - I get more from training consistently Monday-Saturday than by training balls out twice a day Monday-Thursday and then having to rest on the weekend.

- Injuries have taught me more efficient and less body-straining ways to do things.
Many things we consider injuries are not an impediment to training. Train with a hand in the belt. Let go of the need to win. Being able to reguard, or to pass, or to get to top position without using a hand or a leg, requires a lot of finesse. Finesse is always a great tool to have in your bag.

- It's tough seeing fellow blue belts quit. Good training partners, good personalities. Good dudes.
And they quit and it's another name on the list of guys that have come and gone since you started.
You know how they feel.
For the first time since I started grappling, Judo, and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu....for the first time ever, after tournaments this year...I had moments where I thought, "Fuck this. I don't need this. Fucking fuck this.I'm done with this fucking shit."
My love for Jiu-Jitsu has deepened. But the days where I don't get it, the days where I feel like I've gotten worse have grown proportionately maddening and frustrating.


In Tournaments:
There's a process to becoming a great competitor.
You must combine your conditioning, your technical expertise, your game plan, and your mental belief in yourself.
I once saw tournaments as "another day of jiu-jitsu". But this is not the path to winning. You have to fight hard and believe in yourself, your preparation, your team, your coaches, and that this is your day.
If you are missing one of those elements, a match, or 2 points, or even an advantage can end your day. Each match must be approached like it is the final. Meaning? Don't go crazy....but live and be in the moment. Your complete focus is now necessary.

Training Log:
In nearly 2 1/2 years of tracking my submissions, tournaments, training et cetera:
I have logged:
398 armbars
251  triangles
150  keylocks
99 cross collar chokes from mount
96 rear naked chokes
82 Comprido/figure four toe holds
78 single lapel choke/variations of the ezekiel choke from half-guard, mount, back control, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment