Sunday, February 17, 2019

Tyson Fury: Gypsy King

Back when I was deep in amateur boxing (prior to Judo and Muay Thai), I read virtually every boxing biography, watched virtually every boxing documentary, and consumed all the history that I could. This is what I do when I pick up a sport. I don't really have other hobbies, and haven't since college. I started with Kung-Fu because it was what they had in my college town. Quickly moved to amateur boxing & Judo, then when I left my college town, started Muay Thai, fought MMA, started JiuJitsu, and when I stopped fighting after knee surgery, kept on with grappling. In the midst of all that, whatever sport I'm training 5-6 days a week, I read every book I can get my hands on and watch any pertinent documentary/biography that I can consume.

Below is a well done documentary covering the one and only Tyson Fury. What I hadn't realized was that his grandfather is a legend in bare knuckle boxing history and the subject of one of my all-time favorite reads of the published bare knuckle boxing biographies.

Movies like Snatch come close, but this guy's life truly was and is the stuff of lore.
Pick up the book: King of the Gypsies if you're a bare knuckle boxing history buff like myself, or peruse any of the great interviews/documentaries on the guy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment