Wednesday, February 13, 2019

What I've been Watching/Reading/Studying & How Injuries Can Spur Growth

I have a torn ACL/Meniscus. Saw my Orthopedist, Karim Wahib @ Ouch Medical, he referred me to Thomas Youm, and now I'll be heading into surgery.

I was working around what I thought was a very deep bruise on the inside of my knee for the better part of 2 weeks when during training I felt my knee slide out of place completely. Having torn my ACL previously in my other knee, though not a doctor, I basically knew what that kind of instability/laxity usually suggests. I was vaguely hopeful that I was mistaken and perhaps my kneecap/patella wasn't tracking, but I've had a series of small injuries to my "healthy" knee prior to my first ACL surgery on my other knee. My lead leg, being the dominant or lead was able to compensate for the most part in the ensuring 6 1/2 years. I had various tweaks and injuries I would work around, and had to adjust my stand-up game in particular to hide the deficiencies, but alas, when your knee slides out of place a couple times in one training session...the writing is on the wall.

I've been watching a lot of a European Judo player who shall remain nameless as when I return from surgery, I plan to utilize some of his game competing in the Gi at brown belt adult.

I've been going back and rewatching old ADCC's for things I may have missed, and odd bits of various guys' games to implement into my top game for NoGi.

I tried to watch the Euros but the lack of disengaging, stalling, and resetting, much like that of the NoGi Worlds was laborious to watch. I watched the ADCC trials, the Kasai Super Series (as evidenced by my comments online and Instagram story posts).

I've been watching Brunovskis as I like the way he teaches in pieces I've seen online, and though, won't adopt large portions of his game, from a teaching perspective, and a "how someone explains concepts" perspective, there's gold to be mined from hearing him articulate JiuJitsu.

After having my MRI results confirmed, I didn't watch much JiuJitsu for a couple days, and basically spiraled out in a pity party because this isn't an unknown fear....this is very much a known fear: the diligence and persistence necessary to govern my rehab, avoid re-injury, and get back to top form whilst the game these days progresses even faster than before.

That being said, the disinformation and false positives propagated in grappling is at an all-time high. Separating the wheat from the chaff proves ever more difficult as guys are finally, for example, escaping basic leg lock series/attacks, but guys are putting out fluff techniques (I make fun of them on my Instagram) that are just a random ordering of literally nothing done correctly or in any sensical order.

Injury in Judo is what actually produced my ambidextrous game and taught me the ability to work around injury. An initial knee injury forced me to learn to play left handed and also to learn more mat work, to which I began my first basic JiuJitsu studying. Later, following ACL surgery, I incorporated knee on belly because I couldn't go to mount  in training. I also learned Reverse De La Rive as a solution to not being able to lock my guard or utilize butterfly guard or other forms of open guard I felt put my knee in perilous random flailing motions. Various elbow injuries in Judo also reinforced and necessitated long periods spent learning how to utilized different gripping strategies and throws do to the rough and tumble nature of long training sessions of full-contact throwing/takedowns.

Koga, seen here, actually developed his distinct Ippon Seionage as a response to injury in training. He discusses this evolution and process in the interview portion of "A New Wind," the production detailing his unique game and development into one of (not exaggerating) all-time greats. The last lower weight class competitor in recent memory to nearly win the All Japan Open Weight Tournament.

The dude is a real savage and a legend.


No comments:

Post a Comment