Sunday, February 10, 2019

UFC 234: Whitaker vs Gastelum....Already Lackluster Card Loses Only Headliner Ed.

Given the dearth of talent flooded into the initial offerings of ESPN+, it was clear this card was going to be a real test of your devotion to watching consenting adults attempt to maim one another for money even for even hardcore fans such as myself.

I literally left my friends' place before the maincard even began after 4-6 sloppy kickboxing matches punctuated by Ishihara putting his arm inside a body triangle and getting RNC'd.

With the loss of the Whitaker vs Gastelum fight, I literally couldn't bring myself to hang around all night to see the Anderson Silva face younger version of himself main event. I've been catching up on the fights today but, man, it's been trying my fortitude. I can only watch so much passable MMA kickboxing before it's all kind of a blur and mish mash of the same exchanges, wash, rinse repeat.

Some lower tier top 15 ish level guys picked up wins over other guys in a sort of musical chairs of my mind regarding who is slogging their way to top 5-10 ranking, but honestly, I just couldn't get into the match-ups. When the announcer is talking about how a fighter is probably wondering if he'll still have a division/flyweight demise possible, you start to really marvel at the state of affairs.
Dana wants Cowboy vs Conor for an interim belt. Covington was stripped of a belt for balking at a fight before surgery, whilst other guys like Bisping avoided fights for over a year and weren't stripped. The ramshackle, slaphazard, nonsensical sense of direction that proves so consistently inconsistent makes it hard to be a *&^%in' fan sometimes. I adore Bellator for putting on a Grand Prix. The linear nature of it erases any sort of irritation I may feel at bracketing, or waiting for it all to play out, because even with the maybe it's a title contender fight, maybe it's not, but y'know if guy A wins he gets a title shot maybe, but if guy B wins, he doesn't because he's already lost to the champ....I just can't with it sometimes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment