Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Grappling Links for your Tuesday



Graciemag has a follow-up piece on Otavio Sousa after his winning both weight and the absolute in the black belt at the NY Open. The piece on his NY Open performance is HERE along with a butterfly guard pass that one of my instructors teaches, incidentally.
My earlier pieces on Otavio Sousa are HERE and HERE.
If I'm not mistaken, he's also out of GB Pernambuco where I trained earlier this year during my stay in Brazil.

For those that don't know, I'm a big John Danaher fan. Not b/c he coaches GSP b/c I've heard so much about how amazing he is, but his approach to explaining the why and how we do things is refreshing. I'm much more interested in WHY a high level practitioner thinks the way they do than "show me an inverted spider guard to spiral guard transition to reverse omoplata."
I posted awhile back HERE about going inside the matrix with John Danaher. Coincidence I guess that the podcast I'm linking here went with that same angle. You'll also notice my post is dated January 16th of this year. Any how, whatever, the podcast is good and as always, Danaher says some things that make you reconsider or at least add to your perspective on grappling. And that's the difference between a good speaker and a great one.

BJJ Heroes has a piece up on Vitor Toledo HERE.
(the guy who Kayron crossfaced to hell and beat recently at the Pan Ams).


Graciemag also has a piece up on Minotauro HERE, the one, the only, the legend. It also includes a guillotine prevention bit. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

The World Jiu-Jitsu Expo in Long Beach is also heating up to be quite the fan friendly and hardcore grappling fan's dream:
Kayron will face Rafael Lovato Jr.
Victor Estima will face the wily Kron Gracie (Victor lost by DQ at the recent 2012 Pan Ams to Kron via reaping the knee).
And for the ladies, Kyra Gracie has thrown her name in the mix with an as of yet unnamed opponent being sought out.

At any rate, Happy Trainingz!


1 comment:

  1. Hi Tim,
    This is Paul from OpenMatRadio. I can assure you that we did not steal your idea. It's purely coincidence. Great minds think alike haha. I've always been a big fan of the Matrix. Seeing Danaher with his shaved head and his role as a master teacher I relate him to Morpheus. I believe that your analogy was that he was Neo. A subtle difference but a difference nonetheless. This is the first we've seen of your site. It looks good. Sorry if there was any confusion but I assure we did not rip you off. Thanks for posting a link to the interview. I hope you enjoyed it. We appreciate the support.

    Paul

    ReplyDelete