Monday, January 19, 2015

Gripfighting & Takedowns for Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu - Newbreed Open - Charlotte 2015 - 2 of my Matches

 Woke up at 5am, drove to Charlotte and reffereed all day. Hadn't planned on competing but the opportunity arose so I grabbed my training gi and belt and had two matches.

-----
Gripfight. Takedown. Pass. Submit.

You'll notice I start out with a right handed over the top power grip as he allows me to control his left sleeve. I look for an outside foot sweep to get him moving. Unlike a lot of Judo players, I play ambidextrously, and feel about as comfortable on either side thanks to having to learn how to play left handed due to several elbow injuries and a knee injury over the years.
I end up with a left over the top power grip and again control his sleeve and look for an outside trip.
I briefly control what I call the inside elbow with  my left arm positioned inside of his arm but allow him to swim back inside because with my grip over his I have a deep entry shoulder throw I often hit regardless of their grip and he was flaring his elbows considerably so I knew he wouldn't be able to stop my entry if I went for it.
I look for an uchimata because I see him twisted out of position and his weight on his right foot is light but he steps off.
At 1 minute in I hit my sumi gaeshi because he lets me again grip over the top and cross grip his left arm.

His chief/primary mistakes were playing bent over, arms extended, not attacking with any real entries for throws or takedowns, and allowing me to grip him over the back due to his poor posture.

 


I could tell my opponent has probably wrestled due to his heavy lead leg stance early on.
Because of his posture + his feet positioning, I get my over the back grip and almost immediately look for an ouchigari, one of my primary set-up attacks on the feet, especially in Jiu-Jitsu. I like to follow up with a kouchigari but it's not appropriate due to how he steps off of it. I hit him with the footsweep I felt like would be there because of his narrow/extreme foot forward stance and there's not much he can do to stop it.

His primary mistake was posture. His secondary mistake was his extreme foot forward/narrow stance which made the foot sweep pretty much inevitable, honestly.

No comments:

Post a Comment