Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Grappler's Confessional:I Support Guard Pulling And Hate Ankle Fighting

If you've watched any of the Jiu-Jitsu matches I've posted, I pull guard relatively often.

1) I'm there to do Jiu-Jitsu, not prove I'm a black belt in Judo
2) My goal is to prove my ability to sweep, pass, and submit, not spend 3 min's fighting for a takedown which at any moment my opponent can negate by simply sitting down.

It has always occurred to me that if sweeps are worth the same as takedowns, and a takedown has always taken more energy than a sweep (to me), that no wonder guys would pull guard.

I've heard rumblings the IBJJF will soon consider some rule changes which will encourage the takedown battle.

I'm actually opposed to this.
Now, I do not in any way advocate the 50/50 leg scissor battle or the 8 minute ankle grab strategies.

However, do I want to see what I saw in the ADCC where 2 great grapplers stalemate on the feet for minutes on end? No.
I want to see Otavio and Kron do Jiu-Jitsu, not hear Rickson cluck like a chicken.
I want to see Rafa and Cobrinha do Jiu-Jitsu, not hand fight for minutes on end.

Get to the grappling.
If someone pulls guard, fine. Get to it.
Now, what must be addressed is two players sitting on their butts, refusing to come up.
We've all complained watching two great grapplers in MMA having a poorly executed kickboxing bout, no?
Why then incentivize great Jiu-Jitsu players to have half-hearted wrestling matches?

Ban the ankle fight.

No comments:

Post a Comment