Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Predict the Hangover: UFC Fight Night 33 - Hunt vs Bigfoot

Last week there was a TUF Finale 18 card, something or other.
I've never been so unconcerned with missing a card in my entire life.
Gray Maynard will forever lurk on my "most hated" list after that fight he had with Clay Guida.
Nate Diaz, as entertaining as his walk-outs, interviews, and non-committal statements may be, will not win the belt. Although, stylistically, he has a better shot against some of the potential belt holders not named Ben Henderson.

That being said, let's predict the losers from this Friday's card:

I see Bigfoot pulling this one out, oddly enough. This is a match-up of two of the most inconsistent HW's in the business with each of them looking amazing some nights, and like they'd rather be playing Candy Crush on other nights.
I'm genuinely scared for Shogun.
That loss to Chael, the loss which I cannot even let myself remember his last time out is hard to forget. Te-Huna is dangerous, make no mistake, and my biggest concern, like Shogun did in his fight with Jon Jones will be underestimating his opponent, getting hurt, and getting finished.
I think Shogun is not mentally in the best spot going into such a dangerous fight, with such low reward/high risk criteria, but I'll bet with my heart and pick Shogun to win by TKO in 1st round.
Ryan Bader b/c he beats most of the guys that aren't world beaters (or Tito Ortiz).
Pat Barry b/c I've seen him fight more than Palelei.
Mizugaki will control Nam Pham against the cage and with top position for the win.
Nick Ring (is apparently still fighting?) and will beat some guy I've never seen fight before.
The remaining fights are guys I've never heard of and thus who knows?
I hate to be "that guy" and fall into pundit category, but the dearth of cards available has made me largely blasé about a number of what should have been events in years previously.
Even the upcoming UFC on FOX 9, is relatively underwhelming when you look at it:
1 title shot which is basically because Benavidez has no one else to fight other than a rematch for the belt. Faber (who despite being a Sacramento draw has never won the UFC Belt).
Condit who also has never worn the UFC strap is fighting another contender and lost by a clear margin when he did.
And Nik Lentz fighting Chad Mendes, again, a guy who has never worn the strap and lost in pretty clear cut fashion.
THIS is the product for a FOX broadcast?
Meh.

"Demetrious Johnson vs. Joseph Benavidez
for UFC flyweight title

From MMAJunkie.com:
"main CARD
FOX Sports 1, 9 p.m. ET
preliminary CARD
MMAjunkie, 6:30 p.m. ET

No comments:

Post a Comment