Saturday, February 28, 2015

How/Why Judo Led me to Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

Some people will disagree. Sure. That's life.
Was my groundwork more than rudimentary at best before I began training Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu? Nope, barely.

What you'll see below has been pretty much my experience in the efficacy of Judo matwork overall.
I think Jiu-Jitsu could learn some aggression and insistence from Judo because who wants to watch two guys play footsie for ten minutes and call it a black belt match for the world championship, y'know?

Beyond that, however, Judo's matwork and lack of diligence in training it, and clear lack of some solid fundamentals for a lot of otherwise competent Judoka out there is a problem. Pure and simple. I don't expect Judoka who can win with a single throw to be as adept on the ground due to the confines of the rules of the sport.
I do expect that they not have poor fundamentals and understand basics of things like not reaching back to put themselves in a triangle or stacking up and putting themselves in armbar position, or as they love to do: freely giving away the underhook.

This is over at BJJEE.com HERE.





No comments:

Post a Comment